Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pinwheel Mandala Conversion to Parchment Craft!!

Hi everyone,

I am going to share one more mandala conversion to parchment craft, however, this time I will also include a link to lots of mandala designs and I will have a few photos that will probably create a bit of "oh no" in every purist parchment crafter who reads my blog, but I'll explain all that a bit later!!!

I call this particular mandala "Pinwheel" but it could be made in many different ways. Instead of lots of grid work, as I have done, it could be made with only embossing and showing the different techniques of shading.....or it could be painted and made into a 3D project and I could go on and on with different parchment techniques that could be used on this single design alone.  Every project we begin is a vision in our own minds....the pattern/design is only the foundation on which to build.  

Parchment Mandala - Pinwheel
Pinwheel Mandala Pattern



 
Now, I promised a link to many, many more mandala designs.  These are a small portion of my own mandala collection I have gathered over the years and they are now in my GALLERY in two albums.  You can download each of the complete albums or you can download a single image if that's all you wish to have.  If you have any problems with this process, please feel free to CONTACT ME and I will assist any way I can.

Okie dokie, now comes the "oh no" part I said I would address later!!  I truly love all traditional 'pure' parchment craft and all the techniques, however, I do not own all the parchment craft/pergamano tools of the trade and there is absolutely no way I could ever afford them, so I make do with what I do have and that leads me to sometimes be very creative in how I produce some of my work!!  


These are the items I use for the majority of my tracing to parchment paper. Yes indeed, what you see here is a standard Pental .05mm mechanical pencil with a container of standard .05mm black leads along with an Staedtler Mars plastic eraser...especially for paper and film.  These three items can be found in any office supply OR department store.  The other item I always use when tracing is a paper dining napkin or paper towel. 

The reason I use these items instead of the required parchment craft tools is because I am a retired senior on a very fixed income and these items are what work for me in my own circumstances. Where there is a will, there is a way and one can still totally enjoy this awesome craft using 'tools' one may already have on hand.  Of course, this is where the "oh no" part comes in, from lots and lots of my wonderful friends who are very loyal traditional purist parchers who adhere very strictly to preserving the ancient way of the craft.....and that's as it should be!!  However, for those of us who simply do not have the means to be totally 'purist' parchment crafters, I have proven over the past 5 years that the craft/art can still be done with a few alternative items!! 

In the two photos above, I mistakenly placed the paper napkin  (with flowers on it) I was using, under the parchment paper, to take the photo and I then removed the napkin and continued on with my tracing.  When I was done with the tracing I took more photos and it was only then that I realized I had put the napkin under the parchment paper instead of a piece of plain paper to cover up the pattern that still remained under the parchment paper because I was still tracing when I took these two photos!!!!!  Silly me.....*embarrassed*  Sooooo, this was the beginning of the tracing on the mandala above using the 'tools' described above.

The reason for using a paper napkin/folded paper towel is because IF, while tracing, you do not work from the top of the pattern, down to the bottom, you will easily smudge the black lead onto the parchment (and your hand as well).  The cure for that is to lay the napkin/towel under your tracing hand and move it accordingly as you move your tracing area.  **TIP**  Prior to beginning any parchment project I always gently rub ONE side of my parchment paper with a dryer softener sheet.  Now, because I do not use white lead pencils/leads for my tracing, the one side that gets the rub down is the OPPOSITE side I will be tracing on.  Thus, when all the tracing is completed and you remove the parchment paper from the printed pattern, you will then flip your parchment over and place on your embossing mat. **


These last three photos show the mandala has been fully traced
and is now ready to be removed from the pattern and flipped over on the embossing mat. You will now take your Steadtler eraser and gently erase all of your pencil tracing.  When that is completed all you will have remaining is the embossed outline of the mandala....shown in the last two photos.

Now, because I have used black lead for my tracing, and I have now placed my parchment paper,  traced side down, on my black rubber embossing mat one would think the tracing could not be seen.....not so!!!!  It is necessary, however, to secure your parchment paper to the mat with low tack tape.  You will now use your STYLUS tool and begin tracing (embossing) the pattern you have just traced from the pattern.  This is the side of the parchment paper you rubbed down with softener sheet already so there is no need to repeat that step.  

Okay, some will say it takes more time to begin a project this way and they are pretty much correct because in essence, an extra step has been added right here!!  Yes, we have already traced the project from the pattern....and now we're tracing (actually embossing) again??  Yes....we are!!!  This is how I have made every single project since I began parching because I never could get the hang of using the mapping pen and I did use white gel pens for a long time but didn't really care for the results so this is, again, what works "for me" and I'm sharing it in this post for those who may also have difficulty with mapping pen and ink, or the white gel pens, or other methods of getting a pattern to the parchment paper without totally messing the project up before it's really even begun!!!

On the last photo here, you will see the mandala has been completely traced (embossed) with the stylus and is now ready to continue on with whatever parchment craft technique you have chosen to complete your project with.  For my Pinwheel mandala I used the Pergamano Multi Grid #4 and the Ergonomic Embossing tool #1 for all the pinwheels.  I used the Pergamano single needle tool to stipple the center diamond shapes and I simply embossed the true center area of the pinwheel.

Hugs to all,

26 comments:

  1. Vickie mandala jest piękna, bardzo precyzyjna. Dziękuję za lekcję. Ewa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve....you're most welcome for the lesson xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely stunning and well worth all the work Vickie. Thank you for your sharing spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vickie, will try this.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very welcome, Chris xx Don't be shy about sharing your mandalas with us....we always love to see the work of others. Don't forget to give a shout out if you get stuck....I'm only an email away!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Vickie,
    Thank you for sharing how you do this, I am in the process of finishing my Owl Mandala, I have all the piercing done and only need to cut and put some finishing touches. The tips and hints will certainly help alot of parchers.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha,

    I'm happy to hear your owl mandala is coming along and look forward to seeing how you have interpreted the pattern/design!!

    Hope you're not still snowed in up there in Maine :)) We still have a lot of ICE everywhere here...hopefully to be gone SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vickie, Well we finally dug out this morning after a foot or more of snow. Other than being beautiful outside when you get out there in the morning the rest is history...lol The good news is I hope to send you the mandala tomorrow. Just about finished cutting...whoo hoo!!Have a bit of a cold but i am determined to get that baby finished...lol...
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Vickie I really enjoyed reading this. You have some wonderful things in your gallery. Thank you also for sharing your Mandalas your very generous. I am currently doing your coffee pot friends pattern. If I finish it I will show it to you.
    Love Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Martha,

    Glad to hear you have weathered the latest winter storm but sorry to hear about your cold!! I'm very much looking forward to seeing your completed owl mandala :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue,

    You are very welcome for the mandalas and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your little journey through the gallery!!

    Oh my, I always love to hear of a reader in the process of making one of my patterns and I look forward to seeing your interpretation!

    Happy Parching :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi vicky thanks for your comment on my talent spotters submission :) I have been checking out your work and it is gobsmackingly fantastic!!! and a coincidence as i have recently been inspired by crochet doily patterns and have been trying to find away of reproducing the effects in white work. without much luck so it was wonderful to find your blog. i am off now to have a longer look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tina,

    Best wishes to you in your journey with Parchment Craft Magazine!! Thanks very much for your kind comment on my work as well and I'm tickled pink that you have come by for a visit and I look forward to seeing you often :)) You will find there are lots of crafts that convert quite well to parchment craft BUT it takes a lot of determination/patience/sometimes math skills and the time to search through other craft books/mags, etc. and, of course, the web for things you think might just work well in the conversion process!! I find it to be an excellent way to challenge myself when I get burned out with pure traditional parchment craft :))

    Welcome aboard and happy parching....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vickie piękne mandale, bardzo mi się podoba ta z sową.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anisa,

    Thanks for the kind comment on the mandalas!! You like the owl.....maybe we will see your interpretation of it someday??

    Hugs,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vickie i have a lot of trouble posting mabye 1 time in 6 i get it to work.
    thanks for the pattern and te tut i love your worl
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sheila,

    Oh goodness, I'm so sorry you are having problems with posting. I'll take a peek at things on this end and make sure everything is working properly. Meantime, if you would like to email me (papercrazysplace@gmail.com) with a bit more specific information I'm happy to see if we can sort things out somehow.
    You are very welcome for the pattern. I hope you will give it a try some day :))

    Happy Parching,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  18. You´re just amazing hun as always. I just sooo love to see your wonderful work and it really makes me wish I could get these eyes fixed faster, so I can see to this again, but I´ll get back one day, and in the meanwhile, I´ll just enjoy to watch all your work LOL.
    Have a wonderful day and loads of fun sweetie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Maryann,

    What an absolute wonderful SURPRISE to see you, my dear, sweet friend!!! Thanks so much for stopping by to see what's going on :)) I am keeping my fingers, toes and everything else, crossed and only good thoughts and prayers for you and I hope the cataract surgery will be happening sooner than later. It never has made much sense, to me, to have to wait until you're nearly blind to have cataracts removed but it's the same here in the USA. I know how terribly much you miss your beloved parching but it's a good thing you know lots of other crafts that you can still do and enjoy.

    Maryann, please come by more often and take a peek. As you know, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be parching either so I do as much as I can....while I can!!!

    (((BIG HUGS))) my friend, and thanks again for coming by to say hello xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vickie,
    Thank you so much for your visit on my blog and for yours comments so kind ! Me too, I will go more often to visit you ! Yours mandalas are very, very beautifull ! Have a nice day ! Big kisses from France. Catherine
    ** Sorry for my English ! ** ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Catherine,

    Thanks very much for coming by for a visit to my blog!! It's a lot of fun to make mandalas in parchment and I have added a few more patterns on the "free patterns" tab at the top of this page so feel free to download whatever you would like.

    Oh goodness, please do not apologize for your English.....it is very good!!! Hugs to you, my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Vickie
    Busy and all as you are you always have time to reply to each one, i love you for that.
    have been away from my PC for some time and only just saw your reply will see how this posts ok
    thank you again
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sheila,

    Your comment posted just fine and I'm happy to see you back with us :)) Hope all is well with you and I look forward to having you stop by often!!

    Hugs,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Vicky, I am also a senior and just coming back to this art. Long years ago, when it came to me, I started doing pergamano. It seemed I was just too busy with too many things to have the patience or time to really get into it. So here I am again, more incapacitated than ever and there are much less funds. You give me courage to try again. I already have the pencil and eraser. along with 2 of the old tools. But the mat gives me questions. Which mat would be best? I am getting more excited to start again. Thank you for sharing your beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi 1sweetbonbon.....First, I love the name you have chosen!! It brought an immediate smile :))

    I am so very pleased that I have given you the courage to return to the awesome world of parchment craft....that brings a smile to my face too!! Now, the mat I use for all my embossing is the A4+ RUBBER MAT #PERG31416. It's a bit expensive (in my opinion!!) but if used ONLY for embossing, and cleaning it regularly, it will last a very long time. The other thing I always have on hand is 8.5 X 11" FUNKY FOAM SHEETS!!! They are inexpensive and work beautifully for transferring your pencil tracing onto the parchment with your stylus. The funky foam has a bit more 'give' to it than a rubber embossing mat but once you have figured out how much pressure to use with your stylus on the funky foam, you will find it's a very practical and inexpensive procedure. When you've completed this step, simply erase ALL of the black lead tracing of the pattern from the front of the parchment and just carry on as you normally would with your project. You can find the FUNKY FOAM at any craft shop or Walmart. The 8.5 X 11" sheets of it are a "peel and stick" item so you simply leave the shiny paper on the back side of the foam right on the funky foam and do your pattern transferring with the stylus. It is possible to use the rubber embossing mat to transferring but it's a bit difficult to see the pencil tracing because it is in standard black lead. However, if you use the white lead pencil for your initial pattern tracing to the parchment, then you can go directly to the rubber embossing mat!!!

    I hope I haven't totally confused you!! If I have, please let me know and I'll happily rewrite my comment....I don't want to discourage your new found excitement to start parching again :))

    Thanks very much for your kind comment on my work....I appreciate it very much!!

    Hugs,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I hope you found something of interest and would like to leave a comment? I always love reading (and listening) to what my readers have to say!!